History


United Rehabilitation Services (URS) is a nonprofit agency with a long history of serving nearly 250,000 local persons with disabilities. The agency was started in 1956 by parents of children with Cerebral Palsy and many other civic-minded citizens in our community.

Originally founded as United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Dayton (UCP), the agency has grown and expanded its services to include all of greater Dayton and surrounding counties; serving 13 counties today. For many years the agency was housed in the Lange Rehabilitation Center, in front of Children’s Medical Center – Dayton.

In 1994 the Hearing and Speech Center of Greater Dayton merged with UCP to establish a comprehensive rehabilitation center to meet the needs of individuals with cerebral palsy, communication disorders, mental retardation, and other developmental or acquired disabilities.

In September 1999, URS relocated to a new facility that was constructed through the contributions of business, individuals, corporations, foundations and employees of URS. Over 5 million dollars was raised to build a state-of-the-art facility at 4710 Old Troy Pike at Needmore Road.

The expanding growth of needed services and image of URS in our community is due to the Board of Directors’ and staff’s commitment to our Mission, our goals and objectives of our agency.

In 1946 Marge Bristow (right) gave birth to her first child, Mary Carol, (left)who was diagnosed with cerebral palsy as an infant. At the time there were few services and support groups for children with CP and other disabilities. Bristow and other families became instrumental in founding the Dayton chapter of United Cerebral Palsy, now known as United Rehabilitation Services, which has served an estimated 250,000 clients.  Marge visits with Mary Carol at the URS at 4710 Old Troy Pike. Photo by Jim Witmer

Marge Bristow, URS Founder, and her daughter Mary Carol