What is Autism?
Autism is a complex, lifelong developmental disability that affects essential human behaviors such as social interaction, the ability to communicate ideas and feelings, imagination, self-regulation, and the ability to establish relationships with others.
While there is currently no known single cause of autism, early diagnosis helps a person receive the support and services they need, which can lead to a higher quality of life. The symptoms of autism vary by the individual, from mild to severe.
- 1 in 54 children are diagnosed with Autism.
- 85% of autistic adults with a college education are unemployed.
- 3.5M+ individuals in the United States are on the autism spectrum.
- Autism is the fastest-growing developmental disability in the US.
- Males are 4 times more likely than females to be diagnosed with autism.
Signs of Autism
- Repetitive behaviors, movements or phrases
- Lack or response to normal stimuli (ex. their name, visual cues)
- Atypical verbal communication or non-speaking
- Difficulty understanding or expressing feelings
- Avoiding eye contact
For more information on how URS can help your loved one with Autism, call us at 937-233-1230.